The Art and Science of Keeping House.

How many of you have read Home Comforts by Cheryl Mendelson? If you have read it, how many of you have made strides in becoming better at 'keeping house'?

I've read this mighty tome (almost 900 pages) a few times, and yet I've done practically nothing to improve my keeping house skills. I really want to, but I haven't done anything. Why is that?

First off, I've been messy my whole life. Second, I'm lazy.

I'm not too proud to come out and say it. I am LAZY!

When I fall off the cleaning wagon, I FALL OFF of it for weeks. I don't know why I can't stick to a routine. Hell, just picking up every few days would be an improvement.

Now, when things are very tidy, in my kitchen for example, I tend to have little rituals of where to put things away. The chocolate chips always go in the same spot, the jell-o always goes there, the baking soda and molasses are on the right, next to the jell-o.

I find myself crossed between someone seemingly OCD and someone who is a complete pig. When my apartment is a disaster zone, I hide under the covers or plan a day out just to get away from it. Or I could, ya know, just jump in with some rubber gloves and get to cleaning - but I don't do that. Rarely anyways. That is what perplexes me.

I want so very much to change my habits. I know that I've got to change them, for the sake of the baby that is due this September. I want to have a clean little home. A sparkling kitchen. Fresh towels and a freshly washed dog.

Lord knows I have the time. I am at home, with the dog, all day, pretty much every day. So what the hell is wrong with me?! It drives me crazy.

I do know this. I know that I simply must have my act cleaned up in about 6 months time. I've got to get a schedule in order. I must suck it up and get familiar with my vacuum. I cannot put it off any longer.

Time to grow up and start getting your hands dirty. Then clean them afterwards.

No comments: