Chocolate Eclair Cake

by Divine Domesticity on July 13th, 2007


Have I mentioned lately that I haven't been taking any pictures? At first I said I was too busy...but now I might as well fess up that I am just LAZY.

All of my fun dishes are packed away. Setting up the photos with cute plates and whatnots is probably my favorite part of the picture taking process, so with this aspect temporarily disabled, it sort of zaps the fun right out.

Anyhow, many thanks to the Flickr user above for this picture of his grandma's Chocolate Eclair Cake, which I made about a week ago. It is best served the first or second day, after being refrigerated for a few hours.

I originally made the frosting from scratch but it turned out kinda grainy and gross. I will go the easy route next time around and try out a premade frosting.

So what if it is a little bit white trash? I love it!

Chocolate Eclair Cake
Makes one 9" x 13" cake

Ingredients:
1 (16 ounce) package graham crackers
2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
4 cups milk
1 (16 ounce) package frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (16 ounce) package prepared chocolate frosting

1. Line the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan with graham crackers. In a large bowl, combine the milk and vanilla pudding according to directions on box. Fold in the whipped topping. Spread a layer of the pudding mixture over the graham crackers. Alternate the graham cracker and pudding layers up to the top of the pan. 

2. Cook the container of prepared frosting, uncovered in the microwave for 1 minute on half power. Pour over the top of the cake. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours before serving.

Chocolate eclair cake, originally uploaded by Jeremy Carbaugh.

2 comments:

Vintage said...

HAHA I JUST made this and was going to post it! I will wait a bit...the only differece is I use the Cheesecake flavored pudding.

OHHH I LOVE THIS CAKE!

s'kat said...

I have a fondness in my heart for a couple of these 'white trashy' recipes.

This is one, the other is strawberry-pretzel cake.