I'm Back! Also, Tired! And Sore!

Texas was amazing. The idea that I had of Texas was blown away this week. Normally I think of words like barren, dirty, and sizzling hot to describe the great TX. After having experienced east Texas though, my viewpoint has changed.

It is so beautiful! My goodness, all those trees! All that green, lush foliage! All the miniature ponies!

I got to spend a few days with my sister and her family after not having seen them in a few years, so that was the absolute best part of the trip. She lives on a farm in between two small towns and it was refreshing to smell that earthy, 'farm' smell. Not fertilizer mind you, just the trees and the grass...all those wonderful natural smells.

Eight or nine hours in the car each way there was a small price to pay. I stopped at Jack in the Box (a fast food place) which was sort of exciting because I hadn't been to one in over 10 years. The tacos weren't as good as I remembered, but the jalapeƱo poppers were gooo-oood.

Anyhow, I am up to a whole lot of nothing this weekend. I'm laundering a bunch of baby clothing that my husband's family passed along to me. Grilling some bratwurst. Baking the Pioneer Woman's Peach Crisp with Maple Cream Sauce. Creating a budget for the month of August. Oh! We're starting the Dave Ramsey Money Makeover plan and we are beyond excited! If we can follow this plan and be diligent, we can get out of debt totally in 9-12 months. Woot!

7 comments:

Deborah said...

Oh my gosh - made the Peach Crisp last week. YUMMMMMMM! And I hate peaches! ;-)

Claire said...

So glad that your trip was good! I'm also excited to hear about your Dave Ramsey stuff. I've been told that this is a wonderful program and way to manage finances...I hope it all goes well!

anna said...

Maybe I should go to Texas... I picture coyotes, sand snakes, cactus, and tumbleweeds... and only one 'lone star' in their sky. 'Sides, they stole my rain!! ((They can KEEP my snakes.))

No chance - since you're kinda in transition anyhow - that you could ditch the not-so-nice MiL situation and mosey down to where you had a better time (and felt more relaxed), is there?

I've used several debt programs before... the one that worked best for me was page 13. Wait, that's Larry Burkett, and he's dead. But Page 13 is still there... only as it's own document, now. It's here: http://www.crown.org/pamphlets/pdfs/MonthlyIncomeandExpenses.pdf

There are other free forms of interest there, too, if you're... erm, interested. http://www.crown.org/Library/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleId=263

Anyhow, even with that and five years of bugeting (with an RPDP breakdown, free tools from other sites and a kick-booty budget (laminated and with "The Matrix" letering) we're not debt-free. Why? Because Larry Burkett (may he rest in peace) and Dave Ramsey (may he live long n' prosper) don't figure in LIFE. Car engine blocks cracking, and the slow time at work, and the medical bills from (going on) four births, gas jumping 20 cents in one week.

I'm not trying to discourage you - by ALL MEANS, go for it, it helped us get rid of all credit cards and loans (except one, and it's down to $999 now!)... I just am that voice of annoying reason that says you do what you do what you just gotta do, and keep plugging away at the bills, too. ((wink!)) And realize that life's gonna try to thwart you... but you CAN overcome. ((Rah, rah, boom, bang.))

Okay. That is all. Have a great day!!

Parker said...

anna,

thank you for your thoughts! I do appreciate them. :) But - I do disagree with one of the comments you said about how Dave's plan doesn't factor in life - as in the emergencies of life that we never plan on. With Dave's plan, you have an emergency fund set up as the very FIRST step, so that if 'life happens', you have a way to pay for those expenses without being forced to charge them to a credit card and being drug back down into the cycle of debt again. At first it is just a small emergency fund, at $1000, but by step 3, it is 3 to 6 months of your yearly income set aside for emergencies. Just thought I would share that -- if I misunderstood ya I apologize! :)

Barbara said...

Glad you had a good trip. The recipe for the peach crisp looks great and I'm going to give it a try.

***Willow, Belle & Old Man Turbo's Mom*** said...

Yea! Glad your back! sounds like you need to rest up after a nice vacation! LOL lets se some of those cute baby clothes!

Tara said...

We have been following Dave's guidelines for over a year now. We've had numerous success stories. Need to get back on track in August. Since we moved in June life and finances have been in an upheaval! Thanks for entering my baby shoe drawing!