Oh hell. What a day.

The day started out nice enough. I was all set to do yet another photo session with Violet in her polka dotted dress and while I was carrying her in the bedroom my right knee dislocated and we fell to the floor. Ouch. Baby was fine, just startled as I screamed pretty loudly from the pain and shock of suddenly dropping like a bag of bricks. Ever since then V has been crying quite frequently and won't take more than a 5 minute nap. Blarg.

She seems to have finally succumbed to a 5+ minute nap at the moment, so I thought I'd post a few great dinner recipes I've made recently. Once again, no pics, but I will update later on when I make them again. (I spoke too soon! She woke up while I was typing that. hah.)

I think the hamburgers were my favorite of the bunch. I am making another batch of the Szechuan Noodles for dinner tonight.

Korean Hamburgers
4 servings

For the burgers:
1 lb ground beef
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 tablespoons chopped green onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 dash black pepper

4 hamburger buns
1 Tbsp. butter
Lettuce
Any other fixin's you like

1. Mix burger ingredients thoroughly. Shape into 4 patties. Grill or fry as usual.

2. Spread butter evenly over hamburger buns. Toast in a toaster oven or in a griddle. Add hamburgers and toppings. Serve

--------------------------

Szechuan Noodles With Spicy Beef Sauce
4 servings

1 lb ground beef
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1-1 1/2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup beef broth
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
8 ounces Chinese noodles, cooked (or any thin spaghetti if you prefer)
1/2 cup sliced green onions

1. Brown ground beef in a large skillet, stirring until it crumbles; drain and keep warm.

2. Pour sesame oil in pan and heat till hot. Saute onion and next 4 ingredients in hot sesame oil until tender.

3. Combine cornstarch and beef broth, whisking until smooth.

4. Stir broth mixture, hoisin sauce, and soy sauce into onion mixture.

5. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Stir in ground beef.

6. Toss with hot cooked pasta, and sprinkle with sliced green onions.

--------------------------

Pizza Pasta Casserole
Makes TWO 9" x 13" casseroles


2 lbs ground beef or ground venison
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
16 ounces rotini pasta, cooked and drained
5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (20 oz) or a mixture of mozzarella and an Italian blend shredded cheese
8 ounces sliced pepperoni, cut into quarter sections

1. Brown ground beef, onion, garlic and seasoning in oil. Drain.

2. Stir in pasta, spaghetti sauce, pepperoni and 3 cups cheese.

3. Place mixture in 2 greased 9x13x2 inch baking pans. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.

4. Cover and freeze up to 3 months.

5. To cook now: Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until heated through.

6. To bake frozen casserole: Thaw in refrigerator overnight and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, till hot.

4 comments:

♥PugPosse♥ said...

Oh My Gosh Girl! are you okay? How Scary that must of been for the both of you. Maybe Violet is just a little shaken up a bit from the fall...has this happened before with your knee? Geesh...take it easy. ((Hugs))

Barbara said...

I hope you're ok! I'm sure you were more worried about little Violet than yourself. Thank goodness she was ok.

I love your recipes, anything with asian seasonings is a favorite in this house. I am going to give them a try.

Tammi said...

Happy New Year! I never knew you had a new blog. Hope your knee is ok.

Anonymous said...

This is the first time for me reading your blogs. I just grilled some Korean hamburgers last nite and they were so good. Instead of using shoyu, garlic, etc for seasoning, I use chopped up kim chee, samjang paste,tofu, and 1 egg.
Measurements are not precise as I eye-ball, feel, and smell to determine if flavorings are sufficient. The samjang paste is the man flavoring ingredient and I added a couple of nice dollops. You can still add in other ingredients to your liking such as green onions, sesame oil, etc. Whatever the mixture, these burgers are sooo good.

Will try some of your other recipes. Do you have a good one for jajiang mein like the kind they show actors eating in korean dramas?

Mahalo!