Recipe Recap - The Good, the bad, and the ugly.

Last Monday I blogged my menu plan for the week. Here is how everything turned out.
  • Monday: Crescent Lasagna - Blarg. Too wet. The crescent rolls get soggy. If I were to make this again, I'd add a package of Sweet Italian Sausage, skip the cottage cheese, add a little sour cream in place of the cottage cheese, add a few sauteed veggies and bake the crescents on the side.
  • Tuesday: Burger King. GIVE ME A WHOPPER!
  • Wednesday:Grilled Teriyaki Burgers - These were VERY delicious. I seem to have issues with over cooking meat. This time around I cooked them perfectly and they were delish.
  • Thursday:Corn and Kielbasa Chowder - Pretty good. Next time I'd use 14 oz. of Kielbasa instead of 8 oz. I overcooked the potatoes which made it not quite as good.
  • Friday: Burgers - Very similar to the Terriyaki Burgers. This time I used "Stir Fry Sauce" in the meat instead of honey and soy sauce. Very good.
  • Saturday: Calico Beans and Cornbread Supreme - DELISH!
  • Sunday: Stuffed pork chops from the deli, Cornbread Supreme and mashed potatoes.
Wow. I ate a lot of burgers this week. Heh. I ended up not making the Chicken Satay with Peanut-Chutney Sauce. That is going to be dinner tonight. I don't have a blender to make the sauce so I'll have to improvise. Keep reading for the recipes for the week!

-----------------------

Grilled Teriyaki Burgers
6 servings

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 lbs ground chuck
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 hamburger buns
butter for buns

1. Stir together first 3 ingredients.

2. Stir 2 teaspoons soy sauce mixture into mayonnaise, and set aside.

3. Combine 2/3 of the soy sauce mixture with the beef, salt, and pepper; shape into 6 patties.

4. Brush with remaining soy sauce mixture.

5. Grill over medium-high heat (350°-400°) 4 minutes on each side or until beef is no longer pink.

6. Coat cut sides of buns with butter. Grill, cut side down, 2 minutes.

7. Spread buns evenly with mayonnaise mixture, and fill with the patties.

-----------------------

Corn and Kielbasa Chowder
4 servings

14 ounces kielbasa, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
2 onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon butter
One 14.5-ounce can chicken broth
1 large baking potato (about 12 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup half-and-half
One 1-pound bag frozen corn, thawed
Salt and pepper
Chopped fresh dill, for garnish

1. Heat a deep skillet or a wide 4- to 6-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add the kielbasa and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

2. Add the onions and butter to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 6 minutes. Add the broth and potato and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer until the potato is tender, about 10 minutes. Add the half-and-half and corn and cook, stirring, until heated through.

3. Using a blender or food processor, puree 1 cup chowder until smooth. Stir the puree back into the chowder along with the browned kielbasa and season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with the dill.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Ooh, Ali, I found your link through the BBC board and I love the recipes. I don't have many recipe blogs that I really like, so I will be back to check it out.

Amanda said...

hehe you did eat a lot of burgers last week - but a good variety so that's ok ;o) Thanks for the recipes they do sound good!!