Finally! Carrot Pineapple Cake that I promised I'd post the recipe for the Christmas before last.

by Divine Domesticity on February 22nd, 2008

Shameful, I know.

It was delicious, let me tell ya. We omitted the pine nuts and almonds, which I would have liked actually, but my mom was not having any of that nut action, so we skipped them. Very moist, very delicious. You can thank me later.


The Best Carrot (Pineapple) Cake
Makes one 3-layer cake

2 c. AP flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. cloves
1 c. whole, toasted almonds
1 c. toasted pine nuts
1 c. olive oil
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, melted
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
4 eggs
3 Tbsp. dark molasses
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
2 c. chopped fresh pineapple, or 1 (16 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained
3 heaping cups shredded carrots

Frosting:
4 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese (room temp.)
2 sticks (1 c.) butter, room temperature
2 c. powdered sugar
Half-and-half (as needed)

For the cake:

1. Preheat the oven to 350-f degrees. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, almonds, and pine nuts and mix very well.

2. In another large bowl, combine the olive oil, sugar, butter, brown sugar, eggs, molasses, maple syrup, pineapple, and carrots and mix well. Add them to the dry mixture. Mix very well.

3. Generously butter three 9-inch cake pans and dust with flour. Divide the cake batter evenly into the cake pans. Use a measuring cup for accuracy.

4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

5. Insert a toothpick into the cakes to make sure the are done. The toothpick should come out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely.

To make the frosting:

1. With an electric mixer, mix the cream cheese, butter, sugar, and powdered sugar until fluffy, but stiff. Add half-and-half to thin.

2. Use the frosting to fill and frost the cooked layers.

Recipe from Beautiful Breads and Fabulous Fillings: The Best Sandwiches in America

6 comments:

Judy said...

I love Carrot Cake, I am definitely going to have to make this.

beth said...

Looks yummy. And the carrots make it healthy right?

DaisyBug said...

WOW. Yum.

I think this is way out of my league. Yesterday I made a box cake and was thrilled that I didn't screw it up. First time ever. How is that possible you ask? Who knows. But I am looking at it as a sign that maybe I have turned a corner...

Rebecca said...

i remember this...i am so glad you posted the recipe! :)

carrie said...

I think I just got 4 cavities looking at the picture! How I love a good carrot cake recipe, I'll definitely be trying this one, without the pine nuts! :)

She sure is strange! said...

I finally made this!! But, of course I modified it slightly. I used about 2/3 cup splenda for baking instead of the sugar, 2 eggs and a 1/4 cup sour cream for the 4 eggs(my son eats them and only left 2), about 3/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts instead of the pine nuts and almonds, and 3/4 cup olive oil instead of the 1 cup called for. I baked it in my pampered chef 9x13 pan for about 13 minutes longer than the recipe, maybe even longer than that but not more than 20 minutes more. I'm reducing the amount of frosting since I don't have as much surface to cover. So far the cake is wonderful though, can't wait til I get the frosting on!!!

Molly(just call me Modificatin' Molly)