Daily Recipe - Mexican Chicken Casserole

by Divine Domesticity on March 24th, 2008

This is a recipe from my bud Deanna aka Domestic Chicky. I hope she doesn't mind that I lovingly refer to this sort of recipe as 'trashy.' A lot of times, trashy food is really, really tasty.

Mexican Chicken Casserole

Serves 4-6

2 Cups Shredded Cooked Chicken
1 Cup Shredded Cheese ( I use a cheddar/jack combo)
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1/2 Cup milk
1/2 Cup sour cream
1 can Ro-tel tomatoes (canned tomatoes with jalepenos-mild)
1/2 packet taco seasoning (or more- to taste)
1 bag nacho doritos

1. Pre-heat oven to 350-f degrees.

2. Combine all ingredients, except doritos, in a mixing bowl.

3. In a greased 2 qt baking dish, put a layer of crushed doritos (about 2 cups), then a layer of the chicken mixture. Repeat once more, ending with a layer of chicken mixture. Top with more shredded cheese, cover, and bake for 30-35 minutes, till bubbling hot.

You can add other items to this, depending on your preferences, like olives, green chiles, onions, etc...The chicken mixture would also make a great enchilada or burrito filling.

6 comments:

She sure is strange! said...

My mom's oldest sister used to make this but with ground beef and cream of chicken, cream of mushroom soups mixed with the rotel and no sour cream. I've made one similar to your friend's version with baked doritos with good results. My husband loves "trashy" food!! And we all know the way to a man's heart is through his tummy!

Molly

Darla said...

My child should like it - it has a whole bag of Doritos! LOL

Thanks to both of you ladies for generously offering it up.

I look soooooooo good on your cookin!

Domestic Chicky said...

Ha! I don't mind at all-how could I when it's on one of my favorite plates! Trashy food often hits the spot-I'll have to send you my tater tot casserole recipe! ;)

PS-you new design looks great on my phone too!

Rachel said...

We grew up eating this and it's delish! It's down home cooking, not White Trash :-) LOL.

Karly said...

I don't usually like casserole type dishes, but this looks really good! I might just make this for dinner tonight if I can defrost some chicken real quick. :)

Heather said...

Oh yeah. Any casserole that calls for doritos or potato chips is a little trashy. But oh, so good! This sounds wonderful!