Finding your place in the world can be hard.

Being a SAHM or SAHD has its own set of challenges.

For instance, do I really give enough of a crap to shower and put on deodorant today? That reminds me, I need to do both.

Do I use my time effectively? Or do I sit and play games and read blogs when I should be doing --- (cleaning, cooking, working at home type task)?

Well, I think I can answer that one pretty easily.

It is hard for me to find that balance. Some days I get a ton of work done, while some days it is as if I need a mental break and just veg out reading random crap on the internet. At least that is the excuse I tell myself.

I try to imagine what my grandmother's generation would have accomplished on a daily basis, and my guess would be, a helluva lot more than I do.

Have you found that balance? Sometimes I feel like the odd woman out for struggling to get it all done. Or heck, getting even part of it done. I know my work ethic isn't quite what it should be. I know I need to grow up. To tone my temper down. To think before I speak.

Who would have thought that being a mom doesn't mean you will automatically become mature? Hmph.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

I have certainly not found the balance, and would love to know how to do it.

I personally feel like a big flop at this whole thing, because I used to be SO organized, SO together--before I had kids. Now I'm lucky if my shoes match and if I can find my car keys. My husband even comments about how unorganized I have become.

Sigh.

Sadie said...

I haven't found the balance. In fact today I had to make a challenge to myself. How much COULD I get done if I (mostly) ignored the internet for 3 hours before hubs got off of work. The answer...QUITE a bit! My kitchen is so pretty I'm afraid to cook in it now!!

I am self-admittedly addicted to the computer. I really want to curb that, at least a little bit. I'm hoping that with time I will. In the mean time it takes challenging myself. Tomorrow I'm going to do the same. I have a FULL day tomorrow to perform this challenge. We'll see how it goes (and yes, I'm taking pics along the way). Follow me on Twitter to see what I do do on the few minutes here and there I allow myself on *G* I've been posting about the "traditional vs. natural" cleaning methods *lol*

P.S. Have I mentioned that I'm currently stalking you and your recipes? I want you to compile a recipe book and sell it to me on Lulu. I'm using 3 of your recipes at the birthday parties I'm hosting on Friday and Saturday!!

nfarbotko said...

I haven't found the balance either. I have a 16 month old and struggle between being a good mommy, a good wife and a good employee. I have decided not to stress too much about it and obviously the kiddo comes first, and anything beyond that will wait and will be fine!

Susan's Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Are you kidding me? I have been at this homemaker thing for nearly 31 years and I am getting less efficient instead of more! But most of the time my house would pass a health inspection and food is cooked. Other days I get absolutely zip done. I think I got more accomplished when my kids were all little (6 kids require a lot of planning and executing of plans) where as now, I can get lazy really easily.

Laura said...

If I found the balance, I'd most assuredly fall on my butt two seconds later!

Austin is almost 4, and I still have the Mommy Uniform (aka- some sort of kid fluid on my shoulder) everywhere I go. Be kind to yourself!

When they are grown, they won't remember the houses or cars. They'll remember the tickle fights and the cookie dough and tell you you're the greatest mom in the world- because dear, you ARE.

Love ya sis!

Misty said...

i haven't found the balance... Some days I feel like a peacock, proud that I have... And then I stumble upon something and my ego deflates to the realization that there are many days where I feel like I'm playing dress up- without a clue.

Ali said...

I'm glad to know that I'm not alone.

It is weird how I (and others) flip flop from feeling really productive to useless bags of crap. WHY IS THAT?! Hormones? I dunno.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.