Daily Recipe - Wannabe Portuguese Egg Tarts

by Divine Domesticity on May 7th, 2008


Wannabe Portuguese Egg Tarts
Makes 6 Tarts

1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 T. cornstarch
1 tsp. vanilla extract or 1/2 vanilla bean
1/2 c. white sugar
3 egg yolks
1 package frozen puff pastry shells (6 shells come to a typical package)

1.Bake puff pastry shells at indicated temperature (about 400 degrees F), but only for 10 minutes. While baking, prepare the custard. In a saucepan, combine the milk, cornstarch, vanilla and sugar. Stirring constantly, bring up to a medium heat until thickened. Place egg yolks in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk 1/2 of milk mixture into the egg yolks. Gradually add the egg yolk mixture back into the remaining milk mixture, whisking constantly.

2.After 10 minutes, take puff pastry shells out of the oven and cut off the tops of the middle part of the shell. Fill with custard to the brim of each shell. Return to oven for approximately 10 minutes. (At this point I turned off the oven and let them sit for about 10 more minutes, I would recommend doing this) Serve and enjoy!

3 comments:

My Vintage Kitchen said...

I go through phases with my pics...sometimes I'm just to lazy to "fix em up" ;)

also...those egg tarts look rockin good!

-Shelly

Kim said...

These sound sooooo wonderful! I'll have to try them soon.

Alicia said...

Yum.My hubby might like those. He loves custard..