My Secret to Happiness - Turn off the news!

by Divine Domesticity on September 1, 2008

Photobucket
Photo by The Unionforever

I haven't watched the news in the past few years. Yup, you read it right.

I am the only one to feel anxiety after watching the news? Story after story of abductions, murders, torture. Browse CNN.com and you are inundated with the worst conceivable stories out there. I finally had to decide to turn off the news channel, and stop visiting the websites.

It isn't that I want to pretend that horrible things don't happen. It is just that I don't want to be emotionally beaten down by the daily dozen stories featuring deplorable human behavior, stories that make you ill to your stomach. When you get to the point where you question if humanity has any good left, it is time to turn it all off.

Enjoy a new book. Take a hot bath. Give your heart and mind a break from the atrocities that are featured non stop on our 24 hr news channels. It has done me immeasurable good for spirit and mind to just let it all go.

6 comments:

Kay said...

Me too. I watch the weather channel and scan the local newspaper and that's it. Figure if it's BIG NEWS, I'll hear about it somewhere.

Dawn said...

I am soooooooo with you 1000% on the news being so stressing. News is bad for you, and these days it seems they hype it up way more than it should ever be.

SarahJ said...

I agree too. Can't stand the news. If it is important enough, people talk about it and you find out. I read google's headlines instead. Got it covered. Perhaps more people should boycott the news and then there will be positive reports as well!

Mona said...

dd, i work in news and i even feel that way. i'm really really looking to move on because i'm so burnt out. i come home on the weekends and don't turn on the television, even though i should be for work...HELP! and i'm about to get my igoogle on. thanks for the tip!

Charity Grace said...

Grew up with a news junkie mom, but I don't watch the news any more either. Scan headlines, but rarely even read a full article.

bethyoung said...

I haven't really watched the news in years for that same reason. No joke. However, I do think that there is a place and a time for understanding exactly what is going on in the world so that you are affected and moved to help where you can.