Top 3 Natural (and Cheap!) Cleaning Products for Your Home

by Divine Domesticity on August 26, 2008

Photobucket
Photo by ms. Tea

When I was younger, I didn't think twice about what chemicals were in various cleaning products. Then I got pregnant, and I was startled by the warnings found on the bottles of very common household cleaning products. Now that my daughter is about to turn one, I worry about residues left behind when we use such products. Here are three of my favorite natural products to use around the home that you don't have to worry about.

  • Vinegar
  • Lemons/Lemon Juice
  • Baking Soda
Vinegar  - Vinegar is the ultimate all purpose natural cleaner. Best of all, it is cheap! Fill a squirt bottle with a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water. Spray down your stove top, counters and sink after preparing meals. Let sit for a few minutes, then wipe up. Once it dries it leaves no scent.   

Keep a separate squirt bottle in the bathroom that is filled entirely with vinegar. Use it to break down soap scum and the ring around the tub and toilet. For those with extra sensitive skin, like myself and my little girl, add 1/2 cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle while washing your laundry. It helps to break down laundry detergent residue. (source) 

Lemons - My all time favorite tip for using lemons has to be to run the peel through your garbage disposal to get rid of funky smells. Orange peels can be used as well. If you have an abundance of peels, throw them in a ziploc and stash in the freezer. Pull out a few peels as needed and let thaw on the counter for a few minutes. Toss them in the disposal, and tada! Yummy smelling sink! 

Baking Soda - Stinky carpet? Anyone with pets and children know how quickly carpets can get funky. Baking soda will absorb those odors! Sprinkle baking soda on carpets and rugs and let sit for 10 minutes, then vacuum.   
      Use baking soda on your electric stove top. It is very mild and wont scratch the finish. (source) 

        These are just a few tips to utilize frugal, natural products to clean your home. What are your favorite tips?

        3 comments:

        Amanda said...

        Oooh we do love natural and eco-friendly cleaning products in our home, especially ones that save us money!! Thanks for the info :o)

        ::Sylvia:: said...

        We're big on vinegar here. :) I love making laundry spot remover with it! I love your blog, found if via Blissfully Domestic. Can't wait to try the bean brownies!

        <3,
        Sylvia

        http://atadbitprudish.blogspot.com

        Kelli said...

        Ahhh... now you're speaking my language. =) And I've been meaning to tell you how nice it is to have you back in the blogging world!