Have you started planning your Thanksgiving menu yet?

by Divine Domesticity on November 7th, 2008

You better get cracking! Once you finalize your guest list, it is onto the best part. Planning the menu!

We are doing our Thanksgiving dinner next weekend, so I will be scaling my recipes back quite a bit, as it is just the three of us (one of us being only 1 year, heh).

I plan on buying a few disposable round foil tins and making plates of food with a little bit of everything in them that I can freeze and serve later on. Wouldn't it be a treat to pull out a plate of Thanksgiving food  to reheat in the oven, and not have to go through ALL THAT WORK again? I'm excited!

The husband is a picky eater, so I'm not doing anything too strange with my menu. If I were cooking for a crowd, he'd be shit out of luck as I like to make a lot of food with ingredients he won't eat. He is a lucky man this year!

Ali's Traditional Thanksgiving Menu for the Picky Eater Husband (Still a work in progress)

  • Maple Roasted Turkey with Bacon (We might buy just turkey breasts)
  • Gravy (Homemade)
  • Stuffing (Might do a cranberry, apple and sausage stuffing, but if that is too weird for him, than just a traditional stuffing)
  • Green Bean Casserole
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Shrimp Cocktail
  • Rolls
  • Corn
  • Pecan Pie (Homemade - I like the kind with a lot of gooey filling)
  • Fudge (Homemade - Still trying to find a good recipe)
What are you making this year? Please share by leaving a comment below!
The Spread, originally uploaded by amanky.

7 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Lovely menu!!

I'll be making my "famous" (haha) pumpkin loaf, pumpkin pie, and cranberry sauce :-)

Carrisa said...

What if you jazzed up your corn ala Pioneer Woman style? She has two great corn recipes. The newest one with the wild rice I might try. Or if you just melt some cream cheese into your corn, that's always tasty. About 4 cans to every block of cream cheese.

I plan on staying home this year for Thanksgiving so I will do a turkey (have purchased a jar of brine seasonings already), mashed potatoes (mine are awesome), gravy, green bean almondine, garlic crescent rolls, and some kind of dessert. Not sure yet if I want to make dessert myself or just get pies from Marie Callendar's like I did last year.

Meg said...

It all sounds wonderful! I always bring the sweet potato casserole and the pumpkin pie..everyone else provides the rest!

Becky said...

Hi There!

We are having Thanksgiving here at our home with a couple from church! We stick with the fairly traditional fare as well, but love our southern "Texas chocolate pecan pie!" I always do turkey breasts, my Granny's cornbread stuffing (she was a professional cook her entire life--YUMMMMEEE), mashed potatoes, corn casserole, homemade rolls, and green bean casserole. For desserts, we do the chocolate pecan pie as I mentioned along with a homemade pumpkin pie!!! By the end of the meal we're always stuffed and ready to watch the Dallas Cowboys :)

Blessings!

Andrea said...

I wish I were doing t-giving this year, but as there's only two of us we decided to go to a friend's family. I'll just be brining some kind of dip, but I might make something extra also. Your menu looks great, by the way!

Meg said...

I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year at our house since my aunt will be out of the country! Yikes!

We're splitting up the dishes, though, and here's the lineup:

- Roast turkey
- Grandma's stuffing (the kind baked in a 9x13" dish)
- Sweet potatoes with raisins, pineapple, and coconut
- Green Bean Casserole
- Broccoli Casserole
- Butterbeans
- Corn
- Rolls
- Pumpkin Pie (The Good Home Cookbook's recipe - the best!)
- Something chocolate!

Sarah Schreffler said...

My favorite fudge is the Fudge on the side of the Kraft Marshmallow Creme.