Homemade Brown Gravy

by Divine Domesticity on November 13th, 2008

When gravy is so easy and delicious to make from scratch, why not go for it?

When you add cornstarch to gravy, you should first dilute it in a little bit of cold water, then add it to your gravy.

Homemade Brown Gravy
Makes several servings

1 extra extra large can of chicken stock
Drippings from your turkey (I had quite a lot, as I used a roaster oven)
Beef Base (I used the a bullion that comes in a paste)
Cornstarch mixed with a little cold water

1. Add stock to turkey dripping and heat until simmering. Add a small spoonful of beef base and whisk until incorporated. Add cornstarch and water mixture (I used a few tablespoons with 1/4 cup of water, and added this several times until it was thick enough). Whisk and continue simmering until desired thickness is reached.

Recipe from my mom!

4 comments:

tracylynne said...

My husband tried to make gravy the other night-I sat back quietly and laughed as he mixed his goop together-the dogs ate it I didn't. I love brown gravy especially with french fries.

www.indianmeridian.blogspot.com

Mandy said...

No way! Is this really how you make brown gravy? I've always thought it was a super intensive magical process. Thanks for explaining - and at the perfect time too!

My Boaz's Ruth said...

Did you already make a turkey this year or is this a picture from last year?

My husband is the gravy maker in our family.

*emilie* said...

OH i love your blog !
thank you !