Chicken with Rosemary-Lemon-Garlic Oil, Parmesan, and Black Pepper

by Divine Domesticity on December 8th, 2008

For most of us in the US, December isn't exactly prime grilling weather. For those of you lucky enough to have a grill on your range, or lucky enough to have nice weather in December, I hope you enjoy this delicious grilled chicken dish that comes from Bobby Flay.

For this yummy recipe, I turned to Bobby Flay's cookbook, Bobby Flay's Boy Gets Grill: 125 Reasons to Light Your Fire!

First off, let me say I've made a handful of recipes out of this cookbook so far and I've loved them all. I would recommend this to the home cook that wants to add a little variety in their grilling repertoire.

Oh my, this was some good eatin'. There just isn't anything that can beat food cooked on a grill. I had to swap out the rosemary and use basil instead, but I would imagine both taste amazing. I used chicken thighs instead of whole, butterflied chickens. A sprinkling of fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese at the end tops this dish off.

Chicken with Basil-Lemon-Garlic Oil, Parmesan, and Black Pepper
Serves 4; can be doubled for 6 to 8 (no need to double the marinade)

1 1/2 cups olive oil
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary
Grated zest of 2 lemons
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 (3-pound) chickens, butterflied (Or a few pounds of chicken thighs)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper

1. Combine the oil, garlic, basil, zest, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth. Place the chickens in a large dish or a sealable plastic bag, pour half of the oil mixture over the chickens, and turn to coat. (Refrigerate the remaining marinade.) Cover the chickens and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to overnight (which is what I did). Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.

2. Heat your grill to medium. (I used charcoals instead)

3. Remove the chickens from the marinade and season with salt and pepper. Grill until the skin forms a crust and pulls away from the grate, 8-10 minutes. Turn the chickens over, close the grill hood, and grill, basting with the reserved marinade until just cooked through, about 15 minutes more. (Less if using chicken thighs)

4. Remove the chickens to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Mix together the cheese and black pepper. If using butterflied chickens, cut the chickens in half, and then in half again, using poultry shears or a heavy knife. Transfer to a platter or serving plates, sprinkle with the cheese mixture, and serve immediately.

Bobby Flay's Boy Gets Grill: 125 Reasons to Light Your Fire!

3 comments:

outdoorgriller said...

I love grilling even when its raining I do it under the eves.If you want more recipes or if you want to take a look at the collection of tips I have for grilling you can visit www.cookingandgrillinoutdoors.com

Jaime said...

That sounds so good. I like your ecookbook idea too.

CookinsForMe said...

This sounds really, really good. Even though its been warm here, it isn't warm enough for grilling. I might try to adapt this for my convection oven and see if it works well. Thanks for sharing it!