by Divine Domesticity on December 28th, 2008
I won't lie, normally I am the kind of girl that buys a bag of meatballs from the frozen section at the grocery store. When I do feel the urge to go all out and make truly delicious meatballs, this is the recipe I turn to. Without a doubt, these are the best meatballs I've ever tasted. Oh so moist and tender. They also have a goodly amount of cheese in them.
Makes approximately 6 servings
2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 cup milk
1 small shallot
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
1 pound ground sirloin beef
1 pound ground pork
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Your favorite spaghetti sauce, homemade or store bought
1. Place breadcrumbs in large bowl; add milk to moisten. Set aside.
2. Combine shallot and parsley in food processor; pulse until mixture is finely chopped. Add to breadcrumb mixture along with beef, pork, eggs, garlic powder, and cheese; season with salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix until well combined but not over-mixed.
3. Lightly coat hands with olive oil; roll meat mixture into 1-inch balls. Place meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Heat 1 inch olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook meatballs in batches; until browned on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer meatballs to a baking sheet lined with paper towels; let drain. It may be necessary to discard oil in skillet and add more.
5. Transfer spaghetti sauce to a large saucepan. Place over medium heat and add meatballs. Cook until meatballs are heated through.
6. Bring a large covered pot of water to a boil; add salt. Add spaghetti, cover, and return to a boil. Uncover, and cook according to package instructions until al dente. Drain, and serve with meatball and sauce.
Recipe from The Martha Stewart Show and the Disantos Sisters