Baked Ziti with Italian Sausage and Sour Cream

by Divine Domesticity on January 28th, 2008

I have found the perfect baked ziti to match my tastes. I was never big on cottage cheese or ricotta in baked pasta dishes. Who knew sour cream was such a tasty alternative?

My adaption of this recipe feeds an army, making TWO 9"x13" pans.  That makes it very convenient to make a pan for dinner, and have a pan to store in the freezer. If you want the original recipe, click the link at the bottom of the recipe. I highly recommend using sausage instead of ground beef, though. That is one thing I will not budge on. I believe that an Italian sausage gives greater flavor and texture than ground beef.

I think chopped red bell peppers would also be a delicious addition. You could cook them with the onions and sausage. YUM!

Baked Ziti with Italian Sausage and Sour Cream
Makes two 9"x13" pans

2 pounds dry ziti pasta
1 large onion, chopped
2 pounds regular Italian, or spicy or sweet Italian sausage
3 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
8 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
2 cups sour cream
8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
One container grated Parmesan cheese

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain.

2. In a large skillet, brown onion and sausage over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes. In an extra large pan (probably what you used to boil the ziti in) combine the sauce mixture and the ziti noodles.

3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter two 9"x13" baking dishes. Layer as follows:

Ziti and sauce mixture,
(all) sour cream,
provolone and mozzarella cheese,
ziti and sauce mixture,
provolone and mozzarella cheese. (I actually forgot to add a second layer of cheese and it was fine)
Top with grated Parmesan cheese.

4. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted.

Adapted from Allrecipes.com

8 comments:

creativecarryout said...

I am putting this on my weekend grocery list and I'm going to give it a try. I've never used sour cream in my baked ziti - always have used ricotta cheese. I'm curious about it and I'll be eager to try it out.
Thanks for the recipe.
http://oneordinaryday.wordpress.com/

Carrie said...

You make it sound so easy and delicious!!

Untypically Jia said...

Mmm creamy cheesy goodness!

Janelle said...

I'm happy to pass along the Lemonade Award to you!! Please check out my post from today for all the details: http://notjustleftovers.blogspot.com/2009/01/my-first-blog-awards.html

Have a wonderful day!!!!
Janelle

Colleen said...

This is my FAVORITE baked ziti recipe!

Mrs. U said...

This sounds really delicious! I will definitely have to make this!!

And I agree with you- Italian sausage makes such a HUGE flavor difference!!

His,
Mrs. U

creativecarryout said...

Thanks for a yummy recipe, Ali. I made it tonight and posted about it with a link to your blog.
Thanks again - I will definitely make it again.
Michelle
http://oneordinaryday.wordpress.com/

nanny said...

I enjoy your blog so much and left you a small token of appreciation at the good life!