Speedy Sweet and Sour Chicken

by Divine Domesticity on February 28th, 2009


My recipe for Sweet and Sour Chicken is adapted from a very popular recipe making the rounds on cooking blogs. The original recipe does not cook the chicken through while frying, and instead has you bake it through in the oven for an hour. I did try this originally, but found that those small pieces of chicken were much too dry after all that cooking.

For my variation, I cook the chicken all the way through while frying. This saves you a whole butt load of time, and prevents the chicken from drying out.


Speedy Sweet and Sour Chicken
Makes 4 servings

Chicken:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil

1. Cut boneless chicken breasts into 1" chunks. Season with salt and pepper. Dip chicken in cornstarch and then in egg. Fry in a little oil until brown and cooked through. Prepare sauce ingredients (below) together and pour over chicken.

Sauce:
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
½ cup vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt

1. If you like extra sauce, make double the amount above. To prepare: Bring all sauce ingredients to a boil on the stovetop. Stir constantly and let cook over medium heat until thickened and reduced - about 6-8 minutes. Pour over cooked chicken pieces.

Adapted from Cooking This and That

5 comments:

Elyse said...

First of all, I love sweet and sour chicken. Then, you put speedy in the title, and I was totally sold. A quick and easy dish that I love, um, yes please!

Deidra said...

Anything that will save a butt load of time is definitely something I'll try! Thanks! ;)

Marge said...

I love the idea of speeding up this recipe. Thanks for sharing! I have a Sisterhood award for you on my blog. I love your blog!

Colleen said...

Oooh I like your speedy way of cooking them! It certainly helps when you don't have a lot of time to make dinner!

joeandkris513 said...

Thanks! I'm trying this out as we speak only using cubed pork and adding pineapple! Yum...