by Divine Domesticity on March 19th, 2009
I am in lazy pregnant mode lately, so no pictures to accompany this recipe. Please trust me that they were awesome delicious.
The Nutella was our favorite, but both were extremely good. It was a perfect treat for a weekend morning. Very little to clean up, easy, and fast to make.
Homemade Pop Tarts
Makes 8 pop tarts
1 box refrigerated pie dough (two to a box)
Filling of choice: Nutella, jam, preserves, etc.
Sugar to sprinkle over the top of egg wash
Egg, broken and stirred with a splash of water
Powdered sugar and a splash of milk
1. Preheat oven to 350-f degrees. Unroll the pie dough. Trim the edges slightly to make it more of a square shape. (Save scraps, later you can give them an egg wash and sprinkle with sugar and then bake)
2. Cut dough into 4 equal rectangles. Add a dollop of your filling to one side of the dough, leaving a border around the edges for the crust.
3. Wet your finger with some water and wet half of the border of the pop tart. Fold dough over. Crimp edges with a fork to seal.
4. Brush with egg wash. Sprinkle with sugar. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat. (My pop tarts that were filled with jam did spring a leak, so do yourself a favor and line your baking sheet so you don't have to scrub it later.)
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until just barely browned. Let cool. (I let the jam pop tarts sit for several hours for two reasons: One, the jam was crazy hot. Two, the jam was much too runny initially so letting it sit for the better part of the afternoon helped it set up a little bit.)
6. Prepare simple icing. Ice poptarts, adding sprinkles if you are feeling frisky.
Recipe inspired by/from Honey & Jam