Retro Raisin Gumdrop Bread

by Divine Domesticity on March 26th, 2008


This is a very fun bread to make when you are feeling nostalgic and retro.


Retro Raisin Gumdrop Bread
Makes 1 loaf

3 c. sifted flour
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. chopped nuts
1/2 c. raisins (I used golden)
1 c. cut-up colored gumdrops (Dots)
2 eggs, beaten
4 Tbsp. melted shortening
1 1/4 c. milk
1/2 tsp. almond extract

1. Sift dry ingredients into bowl, stir in nuts, raisins and gumdrops.

2. Combine eggs, shortening, milk and extract. Add to dry ingredients. Mix only until dry ingredients are moistened.

3. Bake in a paper-lined (9"x5"x3") pan in moderate oven (350 f degrees) 1 hour, or until center tests done. (I skipped lining it and used Pam with Flour for Baking spray.) Cool. Wrap and store 24 hours before slicing. Makes one loaf.

4. Wrap cooled bread, seal, label, date and freeze.

Recipe from an old 1950s cookbook that I lost, but it might be from Farm Journals Country Cookbook.

4 comments:

Elyse said...

What a fabulous bread!! It's so sentimental AND yummy-looking. You know, I never thought I liked gumdrops that much, but if you stick me in a room with a bowl of gumpdrops, you know I can't resist their sweet charm. I just may have to try this super fun bread!

VeggieGirl said...

Mmm, gumdrops!! Fun addition.

Coleen's Recipes said...

What a great recipe to do with kids & grandkids.

Netts Nook said...

This bread looks fun and colorful.Thanks for sharing.